Snorkel in the Keys
Snorkeling is one of the best ways of enjoyment for tourists in beach areas as well as in the islands. Your beach trip will remain incomplete without an underwater trip to the beach. It is a great way to explore the underwater ecosystem and also the environment. The underwater environment, especially the colorful fishes of different types will definitely amaze you with a lifetime experience.
Best snorkel areas in the keys
Miami Florida contains the world’s third-largest barrier reef and the only coral reef of the United States. The reef extends almost 170 miles towards the southern part of Miami. So from the keys, snorkeling can be done easily and you need to go to the keys for snorkeling. On the other hand, to get the actual underwater view, you need to go to 3 to 8 miles offshore as the coral reef is at that distance. There are few famous spots for snorkeling in Miami keys. The famous keys for snorkel are
- Key Largo
- Big Pine key
- Key west
The famous snorkel spots lie in these keys. In most of the advertising of the agencies, you will find Key Largo and Key West. These two are the very famous spots but you will get snorkel spots in the middle keys as well which are in Islamorada, Marathon and Big Pine Key. The spots inside these keys are
- Fort Zachary Taylor
- Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson
- John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
- Bahia Honda State Park
- Snorkeling Cheeca Rocks
- Hen and Chicken area
- Alligator Reef Lighthouse
- The coffins patch area
- Sombrero reef
- Looe key reef
Each and every spot listed here will give you a different taste of snorkeling. You will find some species which will not available in the other areas. If you want to visit a specific key, you can choose your snorkel trip according to that. On the other hand, with a day trip to a specific key, snorkeling can be done very easily.
As we all know, the sea is more beautiful when you go far from the shore. So the key west is the last of all the keys and it is the famous snorkel destination for the tourists. Though the tourists are taken there through different boat companies.
Convenient time for a snorkel
If you plan for snorkeling, you must maintain some timing to get the best view with nice weather and refresh the mind.
- The best time to snorkel in the keys is summer which is from September to November. In this season the water temperature is warm and you can swim easily on the warm water. During summer the wind is generally low and the water is clear. The prices are generally low. If you are okay with the summer temperature then you can go for it.
- Additionally, you must avoid the mini lobster season which is in July. Moreover, the jellyfish bloom season should also be avoided which is at the end of summer. You will not get that much fun during those days.
- During March, the temperature began to rise as it was winter before that. This time is the best time. Not too cold, not too hot. If you want cheaper rates then go for summertime snorkeling.
- Again, the rainy season must be avoided because it can spoil your vacation with cloudy sky and heavy rainfall. On the other hand, water visibility will not that clear because of the rain.
- Moreover, you must follow the weather report to check whether there is any hurricane alert or not. Then go for it. Because this can spoil your vacation and you have to come back without doing these water activities.
- Lastly, to avoid excess crowds, you can avoid the weekends.
Snorkel boat tour and package
If you buy snorkel gear you can snorkel in the shore of some beaches. But the chances of exploring beauty is low as you cannot go far alone.
On the other hand, if you go to the reef you can get the best scenario which is not possible by yourself. You must take a snorkel boat tour as you need to go a minimum of 3 miles away from the shore. Additionally, you need a guide to get an attractive underwater view and ensuring your safety as well.
To get a snorkel through the guide and do it in the reef, you must book packages. You will find plenty of packages for snorkeling. You will get a full day package as well as a half-day package. They will manage everything for your snorkeling. You have to choose it wisely after observing each and every detail of the package. You need to see the quality of the snorkel gear which is most important and the place where they are taking you to snorkel. Again, see what complimentary things they are offering with the package as well as the price. Every package includes a boat tour if it takes you to the reef.
Most importantly, some agencies of snorkel doesn’t accept credit cards. So you need to bring cash.
Snorkel with children
If you are planning to bring your child with you for snorkeling, be sure that the package includes plastic sausage as children may get tired sometimes and want to take rest. If it will be available, they can have some rest. If you are not bringing your child’s accessories, make sure that the agency will provide it.
Lastly, snorkeling is one of the most amazing sea activities which is very famous among tourists all over the world. So, it will not be wise to miss such an amazing activity as you will be able to explore the beauty of the underwater ecosystem.